Friday, April 12, 2013

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck


Tortilla Flat

John Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors, and I was pleasantly surprised to find Tortilla Flat and realize there's a Steinbeck I hadn't read. So I suggested it for my book club. The book is very short, so we read this one and Travels with Charley in the same month. 

Tortilla Flat is classic Steinbeck, with unusual characters doing some very unconventional things. My favorite part was where someone was given the gift of a vacuum cleaner before she had electricity in her house. Because the vacuum cleaner was a status symbol, she could be seeing running it up and down the rugs in her house every day. You can't make up stories like that, it had to be real and that's why I love Steinbeck so much. 

I enjoyed The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden better than this book, but I still loved the colorful characters living at Tortilla Flat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment