Friday, April 19, 2013

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett


State of Wonder: A Novel

I was the only person in book club who didn't like this book. I didn't like it because I disliked the main character, I thought her cowardly and fearful and somewhat pathetic  Nevertheless, she did travel deep into the Amazon jungle, which is something I personally wouldn't do.

The book brings up a few moral topics that can cause a good discussion in a book club. The major one is the age at which women give birth. Another topic was the subject of research and the funding of research, as in who chooses the topics when people do research, the people who do the research or the people who fund it?

One person mentioned the fact that "State of Wonder" is a quote from Shakespeare's The Tempest and that the book is filled with Shakespeare quotes, but not knowing The Tempest, I didn't notice them.



No comments:

Post a Comment