Monday, January 9, 2012

Travels with Charley in Search of America by John Steinbeck



Travels with Charley in Search of America



I love Steinbeck. After reading popular fiction I love to go back to reading a Steinbeck just for the quality of the writing, people don't seem to write that well any more.

This book is not typical Steinbeck. It was written in 1962 after he had received the Pulitzer Prize for literature. He felt he didn't really know his own country and so drove from New York to Washington, through California, Texas and Louisiana and back home to Long Island. The book is a collection of his feelings about the United States as well as descriptions of people he met.

I listened to it on CD while traveling. It seemed particularly fitting to listen to Steinbeck's road trip while I was on one of my own. The link to the CD is below.




Travels with Charley in Search of America

No comments:

Post a Comment