Monday, February 6, 2012

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz


Drowning Ruth: A Novel (Oprah's Book Club)



The way this book is written is unusual. It jumps about backward and forward in time, sometimes from one page to the next. But somehow it works and that added to the joy of reading the book. I wouldn't, however, have liked to have listened to this on CD, I think that would have made it confusing.

The mystery is around the fact that Ruth remembers drowning, although obviously she didn't actually drown. You don't find out what actually happened until the end of the book. The book is easy to read and difficult to put down. Personally I reached the middle and finished it in one day even though I had other things to do.

It is an Oprah Book Club choice and I find many of these have some form of sexual abuse in them. I'd just like to say that this one didn't. The characters were a little unusual, but just enough to make them interesting to read about and discuss in a book club setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment