Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory


The Constant Princess

I was excited to read a historical fiction book as a book club book because I have read many in the past. But I really disliked this book. It is the story of Catherine of Aragon  who became King Henry VIII's first wife. I found the princess very self absorbed and controlling in the book and never imagined she was in real life. I also found the book very repetitive. I kept thinking she'd said that before and then she said it again - and again. 

I also found intimate details in a historical novel disturbing. The evidence at the time was that her betrothal to Henry's older brother, Arthur, was never consummated. So I found the details of that disturbing. I think I didn't like the book because I knew too many real facts, maybe someone would enjoy it more if they didn't know so many details about that period of history. 

I listened to it on CD and I really didn't like the voice of the person who was reading it. Maybe reading the book would have been more enjoyable for me, but the book was on the long side. The voice of the person who is reading the book makes a huge difference with audiobooks.



No comments:

Post a Comment