Monday, September 3, 2012

The Sacred Thread by Adrienne Arieff



The Sacred Thread: A True Story of Becoming a Mother and Finding a Family--Half a World Away


As someone who has not struggled with infertility, the thought of adoption, IVF and surrogacy doesn't even occur to me. So I was very pleased to be educated about it by reading Adrienne Arieff's journey of miscarriages, infertility, and eventual surrogacy with a donor in India. It is a world I would not have known anything about had it not been for this book.

The book is short and easy to read, I myself read it in two days. I didn't read the details of whether or not she was successful before starting the book, so I was very keen to reach the end and thus I read it fairly quickly.

When we discussed it as a group we wanted to know more details like, "How did she get from the three miscarriages to the idea of surrogacy?" Generally though, we would have liked more details of many things that were only briefly mentioned in the book. The author said that it started as a journal for her daughters to read, but the book did read more like a journal than a book.

As a book club group, we had a great discussion about IVF, surrogacy and the desire to be a mother. The book definitely gave us a lot to talk about.



No comments:

Post a Comment