Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield



The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel



Oh, my goodness! What an amazing book! This is one of my all time favorite books. I read it with one book club and then suggested it to another, just so I could read it again. There are plots, sub plots, parallel plots and things that happen that you aren't told about. If I had read it in book form I would not have wanted to put it down, but I listened to it in the car and found myself wanting to drive somewhere just so that I could listen to the next installment of the book. The audiobook is very well done and I enjoyed listening to it immensely. The fact that it was a mystery and I had to wait between installments made it even more fascinating.

The main plot is set about 50-70 years ago in England amongst over privileged and under civilized people. The setting is a large stately home. That plot is intertwined with the storyteller's modern day life which is set a little before the Internet happened. The exact year is also not specified. It flows beautifully, giving you just enough information bit by bit to keep you enthralled in the plot.

There were a number of quotes and references to some of the classics, mainly Jane Eyre. And some parallels to those books, too. It is definitely a book for book lovers and a must for your book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment